Sunday, July 19, 2009

Where are you from? And what is THAT in my bloody mary? Questions from Milwaukee...




Yesterday we went to Milwaukee mainly to visit the museum there. But walked around town. Not much there to be honest, but it was still fun.

A chatty museum worker asked us where we were from. This is a question I get a lot these days. I am not sure if its because I stand out or if I just notice the question more, since my answer is now a little complicated. We answered the question "We are originally from Texas, but live in Chicago." But when I first moved to Chicago, Chicagoans would ask the same question and since I hadn't lived in Texas for 2 years I would answer "Originally from Texas but have been in LA for 2 years." I have lately dropped the "LA" from my answer.

But this whole "Where are you from?" brought questions to mind. What did I say when I did live in Texas? What do you all say? Do you state the city you live or the city you grew up? Or simply say "here"? I really think people who engage in small talk with strangers should really be asking "Where do you live? This is a question, with a fast answer. If we end up having beers later, then you can ask where I am from.

We ran out of things to do there, so we ended up drinking for the last 2.5 hours or so. I was drinking beer but I kept seeing people ordering these crazy bloody mary's with what appeared to be oodles of nooodles (Udon to be exact). But Udon it was not, it was CHEESE. Cheese along with a shish kabob of: olive, mushroom, pickle, SLIMJIM, and shrimp. Maybe I am just not a cultured bloody mary drinker, but I have never seen anything so wild.

The only other observation I had during my short visit to Milwaukee was that most people that were drinking beer, were drinking Corona. WTH? This is the home of the brewers and they are drinking the most disgusting beer on Earth?


No comments:

Post a Comment