Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Riding to work with Doogie Houser


Everyday I walk to the corner of Belmont and Broadway and take either the bus to another bus or the bus to the train. I've noticed that when I take each route I see the same people. I guess that is what happens when you take public transit. When I take the bus to another bus there are a few characters on my first leg. 1) A short blonde girl who carries her lunch in various department store bags 2) A nanny who takes a 5 year old girl to school 3) A french lady who has the cutest 3 year old on the planet. 4) My bus driver who is super friendly. The second leg of that same trip which is approximately 3 miles north of where I live includes: 1) A philipino girl that goes to high school and 2) DOOGIE HOUSER.

These characters never cross over on their routes until today...

Today I took the bus/train trip. The only character that is consistent on the train is a girl I have never spoken to that we will refer to as "Linda." Linda lives in my neighborhood, and we might be neighbors because I see her walk her dog some mornings. And she works across the street from me. We exchange smiles but thats about it. BUT TODAY....Doogie Houser was on my train. What in the world? I figured he lived 3 miles north of me, but now I am not so sure. I say "Doogie" because he looks like the younger Neil Patrick Harris. Anywho. Doogie sat in front of me on the train. Maybe because he is not used to the train and felt more comfortable sitting next to a familiar face. That or he is stalking me.

There is another girl on my floor, Elisha, who used to leave at the exact same time as me in the mornings. We would take the elevator down together and walk to the same bus, but it was so akward that we would walk about 2 feet apart and never sit by each other on the bus. Once I sat by her and started the small talk, but after the small talk we were left with yet another awkward silence. I see her on the weekends sometimes, but never on the way to the bus anymore. Maybe she adjusted her schedule to avoid those awkard moments.

Isn't it weird though? I see these people everyday, but I do not know them. Elisha, Linda, and Doogie are all my age but we are at that age that you can't just talk to some random person and become their friend. It's kind of sad because I think they could make good friends. Elisha has carries a fun orange purse, Linda has fun shoes, and Doogie looks like he might have a couple of good jokes. How does one make friends at 28?


2 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed this. And I like your observations and questions. How does a 28 year old make friends with random people without seeming weird or desperate?

    Also, now I'm hearing the Doogie music in my head... do, do, do-do-do. do, do, do-do-do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw him again today, eating at the same lunch spot as me.

    ReplyDelete