Thursday, August 27, 2009

Fear of Fabric

I have a fear of fabric. I am new to sewing. I am looking to make the smallest of projects. What's the least amount of fabric I am allowed to buy? Will the ladies cutting the fabric get mad if I have like 15 bolts of fabric and only need a 1/4 yard from each one? Can I buy less than 1/4 yard? I am assuming you cannot return fabric like you can yarn? In what aisle does one find PUL?

I would ask, but I am really afraid of the people at my local Joann's fabrics, they are mean. I get why they are mean...you should see this place on a Wednesday at noon. Its busy then. On the weekends, forget about it, you will be there a good hour waiting in line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, this is my shady advice. Find the textile, fabric district in your area.. in Dallas it's off Harry Hines. These are usually small warehouses with huge rolls of fabric and typically have some clearance fabrics at a great price. Go in the middle of the day and act like you are an Interior Designer and need some small samples to show a client. You will receive royal treatment and can pay for your small samples or possibly even get them for free.. Or just tell them the truth?

    I've also bought fabric at Walmart or just buy Quilt squares if your project is that small.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could help but I've never bought fabric in my life. Too bad you don't have a Hobby Lobby near by, they are usualy very nice there.

    I'm excited to see what you sew though. :)

    Btw, I think the spelling of "sew" is so strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree about the local Joann's...most of the employees there are so rude! My son tore off a number at the cutting counter and the woman working there almost had a fit. Never mind that he took the number for ME. I avoid Jo's whenever possible! What do you want to sew? If you want garment fabrics, I'd go to Vogue Fabrics in Evanston or to the Textile Discount Outlet in Pilsen. It's at 2121 W 21st Street (easy to remember, huh?!). Textile Discount is a huge place and it's a mess, but it's also fun to hunt through. I've heard Fishman's Fabrics is the best, but I've never been there. If you just want to start with quilts, then Joann's is probably the quickest and cheapest. If you want designer quilting cottons, I like fabric.com or Hancock's of Paducah.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arizona, thanks for the great advice. I am new to Chicago and still trying to find my way around. I will google all the places you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete